Saturday, July 12, 2008

The Seven-Toed Kitten

Our friends found this cat in their engine, and asked us if we wanted to adopt her. We said that we would take care of her for a couple of days, but then we would take her to an animal shelter.
Megan later discovered that she had 7 toes on each paw.
(Photos and text by Andie)

5 comments:

Ann said...

Seven toes of the seventh cat of the seventh generation, or something similar I'm sure. How can you get rid of such a mark of distinction.

Dan S. said...

Sounds like your cat has polydactylism. It is a genetic abnormality and is not a rare condition. The current verified Guinness record holder is "Tiger", who has 27 toes. Tiger is owned by Gareth Ukrainetz of Leduc, Alberta, Canada and has seven toes on each front foot, and seven on her left hind foot, but only six toes on her right hind foot. So, you may have a world record breaker there. (Of course, there are some other cats that are listed online as having 28 toes, but apparently haven't been verified including another cat in Albuquerque called Clyde).

Brandon said...

Wow--who would have guessed? After a recount, it was determined that she actually has 6 toes on each paw--I had been counting the vestigial dewclaw (kind of like a thumb) as well. So although she is no longer a Guinness contender, I would still say she falls firmly into the bizarre category.

jared said...

Alls I want to know is how do we know which one is the middle finger?

dalan said...

I laughed